Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kele Okereke

Good on Kele Okereke has admitted that he was reluctant to discuss his sexuality when he was still an active member of Bloc Party.
Kele released debut solo single ‘Tenderoni’ this week, confirmed that he is gay in March this year.
Speaking to a newspaper Kele said: “The band was a band, it wasn't just me. I didn't want to talk about it and I don't think they wanted it to be an issue. In fact I know they didn't, because one of them told me once. I didn't want to be seen as a spokesperson for something.”
Asked what changed since then, he replied: “You learn, don't you? I've learned that it's important not to run away from things, because it makes a difference to people... “I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped by young gay kids saying how important it is that a man like me exists in the mainstream.” ... Good man Kele it’s about time some of the kids today had someone else to look up to that’s willing to take a stance!

3 comments:

  1. I read also that he's thinking of moving to New York because every time he comes back to London he 'sees something aggressive happening'. Who'd have thought! New York legendary city of crime now safer and more tolerant than London. And by the way, AW, where's your piece about Jin Choi's latest? Are you keeping up, or are you not? Would that be not? Love, Alec. p.s. I doubt you'll read this because you must be due another holiday. It's been all of 4 days since you had one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lmao - i always read your posts... even on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet AW! xx

    ReplyDelete